Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ugly Kitchen Help...

The kitchen at our current house is not my fav. The counters are pretty 70's and the paint job of the cupboards is really bad. I've had a hard time deciding what to do with the area above the sink.

At our old house, I had a mirror above the sink. It was nice because it made the kitchen look bigger. The current space didn't fit any of my mirrors and so I have left it empty for some time. When we got home from the beach this last time, I was trying to think of a good way to display all of the cool rocks and shells that we collect on our beach visits. I remembered some old jars that I got from Jake's mother. I went out in the garage and scavenged around for a bit. I found a white shelf I wasn't using and a frame that had some older pics of the kids in it. I thought it would be fun to have some beach pics in the frame and have a beach theme going on in the kitchen.

I kinda feel like beach themed rooms can either be really fun or really scary. I am hoping to lean towards really fun. I told the kids that we were only putting select shells and rocks in the jars. We come home with some pretty interesting things.

Anyway, the pics are before and after I painted the shelf and frame. My sister gave me the idea to paint the shelf green (to match the counters). Give me your feedback...do I need to change anything?



BEFORE


AFTER
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Amber said...

I love it. It's not scary, and I know what you mean about the dangers of a beach theme. Painting the frame made a huge difference--what kind of paint did you use?

Jake said...

I think it looks fabulous.

Honestly...

Miriam said...

You've always had a way of making things look so nice. I've always admired that in you.

Super Cooper said...

Sista says yaes! Thats in popular talk:)

Heidi said...

Very cute! Good job Rachelle.