Saturday, March 28, 2009

Warning...reading this may cause boredom!

This was derived from a survey going around on facebook. It's a cool idea and was VERY fun for me to fill out. I am a music person through and through. I have a wide range of taste in music..

I warn you, that although it was fun for me to write, you may find it very boring...sorry....feel no pressure to read. It was just fun going through it in my mind.

The Title of this Survey is "Desert Island" collection. You are told to make a list of 15 albums you would bring with you a deserted Island if you were forced to go...oh no, which albums do I bring...Well, here it goes for Rachelle

In no particular order.

1. The White Album - The Beatles
I'm not sure how my fascination with The Beatles began. I really started to listen to them when I was in the 7 grade, but didn't fully appreciate them till about my Sophomore year of high school. The White Album is the one Beatles album that I listened to, over and over and over. I love ALL of The Beatles albums, but this is my fav. "Rocky Raccoon" is probably my top pick as far as songs go on this album.

2.
Abby Road - The Beatles
Another great Beatles album. This was the first Beatles vinyl I bought. I got it at some little shop downtown Portland. It's an original print and cost me a pretty penny. I think that was the summer of 1996. Top 2 songs "Because" and "She came in through the Bathroom Window".



3. Bad - Michael Jackson
My brother bought this for me for Christmas 1987. I was already obsessed with MJ, but this album sealed the deal for sure. I wanted so badly to be his friend! "Bad" is still on of my most loved songs...how can you not love these lyrics..."
I'm Giving You...on Count Of Three...to Show Your stuff...or Let It Be...I'm Telling You...just Watch Your Mouth...I Know Your Game...What You're About. And the video for "Smooth Criminal"...so good!

4. Rockin' The Suburbs - Ben Folds
So good! I love Ben Folds! He is an amazing songwriter and musician! "The Luckiest" is my fav song on this album, but I love them all!

5. Swamp Ophelia - Indigo Girls
My friend Tracey and I stumbled across the Indigo Girls after watching the movie, Boys on the Side. The first song we ever heard was off of this album. I'm not a huge fan of the Amy Ray songs, but this is for sure my fav of theirs..."Least Complicated" and "The Wood Song".

6.
Poseiden and the Bitter Bug - Indigo Girls
This album was actually just released...however, I have already listened to it 5 million times! The Indigo Girls' last few albums have veered away from the classic harmonies that their early albums had...this one brings them back. Just a side note...Tracey and I try to go to every show that they play in the Portland area. I think we have seen them at least 7 times...?


7. Listen Without Prejudice - George Michael
I love Mr. Michael. He's a bit gross but has one of the best voices ever! I would listen to this tape on the bus rides to and from soccer games. "Praying For Time" and "Mothers Pride" are my fav tracks.

8. Bleed American - Jimmy Eat World
This band is a huge band in the Fisher household. I listened to this album over and over again while painting the bedroom of our Dartmouth St. house. My fav Jimmy Eat World song comes from this album..".A Praise Chorus". I was able to see them live for the first time last year. It was a very intimate performance at the Roseland. SO DANG GOOD! I kinda developed a crush on Tom!

9. I Say, I Say, I Say - Erasure
This album reminds me of my obsessive exercise days. Jake was getting home from his mission soon and I wanted to be in peak shape. All I ate were Powerbars...yuck...and I seriously ran between 5 to 7 miles a day and jump roped. I really miss running! I really miss being thin! "Run to the Sun"...

10.
Hopes and Fears - Keane
This is one of those albums that really "spoke" to me. I know that sounds ultra cheesy, but every time I listen to it, I can feel every lyric. I was going through a bit of a mental rut when this album was released and a few of these songs really helped me cope. Once again, I know that sounds corny, but it's true...fav songs - "Somewhere Only We Know" and "Everybody's Changing".


11. Shepard Moon - Enya
I put this one on here, because it's an album that I used to listen to multiple times a day. I still really enjoy it, although I don't listen to it much anymore. My 2 loves on this album are "Book of Days" and "No Holly For Miss Quinn". The later because, Jake taught me how to play the first half of this song on the piano.

12. Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits
I don't really have a fav album of this awesome duo. The Greatest Hits bring all of them together. I LOVE Art Garfunkel. His voice in amazing! "The Boxer" and "The Sound of Silence" are the best tracks...

13. Paintings in my Mind - Tommy Page
So cheesy, yet so awesome! This album brings back so many memories. My friends Tassie, Heather and I used to lay an the floor and listen to this tape. We would rewind the title track over and over and feel such strong emotions...I'm pretty sure we cried.

14. Louder Than Bombs - The Smiths
My sister had this album and I absolutely LOVED it from the very first time I heard it. When I was going to bed I would play "Sing me to Sleep" over and over again till I did fall asleep. There are 24 tracks on this album...I love "Golden Lights", "William it was Really Nothing" and "Panic"

15. Hear My Praise - Kenneth Cope
I had to throw a religious one in here. Kenneth cope is on of my fav LDS performers (that's Mormon to those of you who are very confused). He has some amazing songs on this album..."Breathe in Me" is beautiful and powerful. It was actually written by Michael W. Smith.

I guess that's it...I'm sure I could add more, but that is my 15 for today! And congratulations if you made it through this!

7 comments:

Rachelle said...

I have NO idea why the font was changing sizes...weird!

Anonymous said...

Yay me! I made it through! I was sad to see there was no Manilow. And Smooth Criminal wasn't on Bad, was it? My favorite song by Tommy Paige was I Will Be Here For You. The New Kids on the Block sang back up on it, you know. I also felt strong emotion and often cried.

Rachelle said...

Tracey,

First...yes, Smooth Criminal was on the Bad album...last track on the tape. And the Tommy Page song is..."I'll Be You're Everything"...lastly, sorry about the Manilow...

Time to do yours 15...

Tracey G said...

Holy CRAP I am lame! You are so right... I Will be Here for You was a Michael W Smith song. It was one of two songs he had that actually played on top 40 radio. It was totally I'll Be Your Everything by Tommy Page!

Pick you up when I'm feeling down,
Make your whole world turn around
Give my heart and soul to you
And let you know this love is true

I'll be... your ev... ery... thing!

ladybugs and lace said...

I love Tommy Page! I had posters of him in my bedroom!

Amber G. said...

I just have to say: OUCH!!!!! Didn't that make you tired to write all of that? Man, I would get really tired if I wrote all that. Love ya!

Amber G. said...

p.s. oh yea, I love Keane!!!! And Jimmy Eat World